People like to say that Apple only has a few percent market share.
But Quantcast has a new survey out that says 11% of online users are using Macintoshes.
The reason for the difference lies in what’s being measured.
Market share means what percent of all the computers (or operating systems) sold in a given year are a particular OS. Quantcast is measuring the installed base, though. Since it’s thought that Macs are higher quality than most PCs, it’s possible they last longer, and people don’t need to buy so often. Since they’re not buying replacements every year, the market share for Macs might be smaller.
Interestingly, Apple has a higher share in North America: 10.9%. (That’s where the 11% is coming from.) It’s installed base in Asia is 2.5%, and even lower in Africa and Latin America.
The fall of Windows
Microsoft Windows is still the biggest OS, but it’s come down over the past few years under 90% to 86% now.
With Windows going down, and at one out of every 8 customers being on a non-Windows platform, it’s going to get increasingly more difficult for Microsoft to lock down the web and the computing world into a Microsoft-only scene. After all, why would you voluntarily give up one of every eight paying customers?
Most businesses don’t have the margins to ignore that number of clients, so I think, going forward, we’ll see more and more cross-platform software applications. Since most cross-platform programming environments (like Java, Python, and Qt) support Windows, Linux, and Mac, we’ll probably see an increase in applications available for Linux/Ubuntu.
I think that’s a good thing regardless of which OS you like to use because, anymore, people are going to demand that their data not be locked up into any one OS or application data format.
If you liked this article
If you liked this article, don’t forget to subscribe for updates!
Follow me on Twitter
Top Incoming Search Termsapple mac market data http://digitivity.org/903/one-in-ten-computers-is-a-mac-os-market-share-installed-base#comment-1464 is windows installed in eight out of every ten pcs mac market share in malaysia mac market share malaysia mac os install base in latin america macintosh computers installed base quantcast mac installed base share market blogbookmark يوتيوب alex texas ass
- Install Free Software on Mac OS/X with Darwin Ports In case you didn't know, Mac OS/X is a complete...
- Latest Windows XP Update Crashes Computers There are reports that Microsoft's latest update for Windows XP...
- Google Chrome for Mac: Now with Extensions Google Chrome's been out for Mac since December, but now...
- Frozen Bubble: A Fun and Addictive Marbles Game for Windows, Linux, and Mac Frozen Bubble is a fun game for wasting time while...
- Google Chrome Browser Third Place Behind Internet Explorer and Firefox A new survey is showing that Google’s Chrome browser is...