Even though Flash FLV movies have become something of an Internet standard, some sites persist in presenting movies in Quicktime format. Here’s how to view them if you have trouble playing them in your browser.
Reasons Quicktime movies might not play in your browser might include:
- You don’t have the latest Quicktime plugin installed.
- You don’t care to launch the Quicktime plugin.
I usually skip embedded Quicktime movies just because the plugin is so heavy. It takes a while to start up, and it takes up additional memory after it’s done. This is unlike the Flash plugin, which is always loaded since it’s needed for so many websites.
So what I do is just do a “View Source” on the page (View: Page Source in Firefox). Then I search for the Quicktime movie URL. You can do this by searching for the text string “.mov”. An example would be:
<param name="src" value="http://www.colorguides.net/movies/pantone_solid_colors_movie.mov"> </param><br />
Just get the URL:
Take it and paste it into VLC at the File: Open dialog.
Of course, this means that you need to have VLC installed, but you should already have it installed.
If you liked this article
If you liked this article, don’t forget to subscribe for updates!
Follow me on Twitter
Top Incoming Search Terms"quicktime movie url" chrome quicktime yahoo movies does google chrome play mov ubuntu google chrome playing mov linux google chrome quicktime additional required how to see quicktime movies in chrome brouser in ubuntu how to watch quicktime movies in "google chrome" ubuntu links: www.colorguides.net movie that play quickime play .mov in chrome browser play browser movie in quicktime play mov in chrome play movies in chrome browser play quicktime movie ubuntu play quicktime not in internet browser playing a movie in your browser quicktime installed but movie not playing quicktime isn't showing movie quicktime isnt playing movies quicktime linux chrome quicktime movie play chrome ie quicktime movie url url to play in quicktime
- Google Chrome Browser Third Place Behind Internet Explorer and Firefox A new survey is showing that Google’s Chrome browser is...
- DigiNotar SSL Hack Threatens Browser Security This is a little technical, but it affects your ability...
- Firefox and Chrome Complicate Mozilla and Google Ties In a Computerworld article, Mozilla CEO John Lilly calls the...
- Creating a Database in MySQL with MySQL Query Browser on Ubuntu Linux A handy tool to manipulate MySQL is the MySQL MySQL...
- Google Chrome for Mac: Now with Extensions Google Chrome's been out for Mac since December, but now...